Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Repair broken Tek 485 or buy good used 2465/A/B?

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 20:17:53 -0600 Steve wrote in
Message id: :

Bret Ludwig wrote in
:

IMO,the 485 is much worse than a 2465,having lots of flaky attenuator
problems,a bitch of a power supply repair-wise,and less accuracy than
the 2465 series.And you get a better CRT display with the 2465.
The 2465 was the best portable scope TEK ever made.What killed it was
TEK selling off the ICO/Hybrid plant to Maxim,and Maxim cutting TEK's
throat by forcing a last-time buy on TEK-made ICs.
The 485s are getting really old,the HF switch contacts are degrading
and unavailable.
The 2465 is more serviceable -if you can get the parts.
the 485 has the same problem.

What about the 2245, 2247?

I have been out of this message loop but have a question on the 2465.

This is the model I have, however, it has a bad chip - I believe U800.

This is the famous chip that is no longer made, failed due to heat, and
isn't replaceable.

I found another 2465 that has a different board (without this chip). Are
the boards compatible? Another words, can I swap boards without a problem?

AFAIK, ALL the 2465's had a U800...