DoN. Nichols

Default Righty Tighty - But Why?

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

However -- once a disk dies, *lots* of screws come out, to gain
access to the super magnets, and to the tiny ball bearing assemblies.
(Lots of exercise for the tiny torx screwdriver bits). (I also use the
platters for decoration, sometimes.)

[ ... ]

I'm probably on your side of the river when it come to taking failed
stuff apart to see what could be scrounged for the "hell box" and
possibly reused somedday.

But I'm sure even you'd admit that we're a minute minority and more
likely the average consumer appliance, car, piece of furniture, or even
a house's deck which was built using threaded fasteners (like mine)
probably ends its life with very small percentage, if any, of its
threaded fasteners ever loosened.

Most appliances would never be taken apart, as the philosophy
appears to be "replace, don't repair".

But for an automobile, we can at least expect:

1) Hub nuts -- at least for checking brakes at the annual
safety inspection.

2) Rocker cover nuts -- for access to allow scheduled maintenance.

3) Head nuts -- normally loosened and re-torqued after some specified
number of miles of operation.

4) Whatever screws (if any) are needed for access to air filter to
replace it.

5) On 4WD vehicles, the bolds holding the skid plates on the
bottom of the engine compartment, to allow draining and changing
of oil and access to oil filter.

6) The bolts securing the battery and its cable clamp bolts.

7) With electronic ignition, we can now eliminate the screws
securing the points in the distributor. :-)

The rest of them probably are untouched in most vehicles -- at
least through the original owner's possession.

And for the furniture -- I have taken apart used computer
furniture, to transport it home and reassemble it. But I would guess
that I am the exception there, as well.

For the concertinas which I used as an example of things
designed in the 1830s and later, I have worked on a relatively large
number of those over the past thirty years.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564