Frisket

Default Another toolkit question

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:
I used to do PAT at a previous place of employment, but I suppose

that
I should really add a PAT course to my list of things to do once I get
going.

You did PAT at work without having been 'approved' ?

In what sense do you have to be "approved"? I have a sound electronics
/ physics background as did the manager who put me in charge of PAT. We
both researched and understood the principles involved and worked to
guidelines approved by the company's insurance company. As I understood
it, that was as much as was neccessary - the insurers certainly never to
my knowledge complained that I, as the person signing equipment as
"safe", didn't have a particular piece of paper to my name; all they
were concerned with was, was I "compentent", and had I understood the
requirements.

The machine had a very good manual ;-)

Hwyl!

M.

"Competence" appears to be the operative word with so many H&S things.
There's no need to be qualified as such to PAT test - hence many of the
firms offering the service use trained chimps (it really has to be one of
the most mind-blowingly boring tasks in the electrical field)
Richard