Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] lewis.pennock@gmail.com is offline

Default Frigedaire RD-71-64 question

On Dec 2, 5:21 pm, wrote:
I have an old Frigidaire double oven, model RD-71-64 that I believe is
from the late 50's, but I am not sure when that model came out and
can't find much on it with Google. Recently, a burner sparked and
there was a loud electrical noise, and then the breaker blew. We
smelled something, and when we opened the right oven door there was
smoke, and it looks like a small section of the heater coil melted,
presumably due to some short or arc that caused intense heat. It has
worked fine ever since that incident, but I might look at replacing
the damaged burner coil.

Does anyone know where I can get parts for this model? Does that
coil come out in a plug like newer electric ovens (i.e., is it user
serviceable?) I was afraid to pull too hard for fear of damaging it.
Does anyone happen to know what year it is?

Thanks,

-Lewis

As an update, we did some testing with a thermometer, and the right
oven has trouble keeping temperature. When it was set to 450 it had
trouble getting up above 350 or so according to a thermometer placed
inside, and it always seemed to be a few steps behind the thermostat,
so perhaps the coil does indeed need replacing.