Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Sheetrocking question

The use of Rotozip type tools is common and normal on residential
work with 1/2" rock. It is quite common to hang the sheet and cut
with the roto after it is hung. All wiring is typically pushed
deep in the boxes. It is NOT normal to cut wiring in the boxes.
This method does not work well on 5/8 rock with plaster rings and
so is not common on commercial work.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"SteveB" wrote in message
Yesterday, a team of aliens (Martian, I believe) came and
started to sheetrock my new addition. They worked 1.5 hours,
since they had trouble locating my house and didn't get there
until 3.

After they left, I noticed that they had sheetrocked over outlet
boxes, and rotozipped around and in boxes, cutting the
insulation of wiring in 6 boxes. They cut the tv and phone cable
in two inside the boxes.

When I called the owner, he had an attitude and said that was
the way its done today in the State of Utah, and that they go
back and find the box and cut it out. He also said that it was
common practice for the electrician to fix the wires, and since
it was electrical, it was his responsibility to make sure it was
right before heating up the wires.

Is this common practice today?

Steve