Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] rantonrave@mail.com is offline

Default Where to get gears for inside of a DVD player?

wrote:

There is a plastic part inside my DVD player that is broken. Where
can I get the part?

Gears can be repaired. Those made of ABS or PVC are best repaired
with solvent, such as lacquer thinner, acetone, carburetor cleaner
spray, or radio-tv cement. If solvent doesn't affect the plastic,
then the gear is made of nylon or derlin and can't be repaired well
except by melting it with a soldering iron. I've fixed cracks and
replaced missing teeth this way. Do not use super glue because it
simply won't stick well enough to plastic.. If a gear is damaged
around the hub, it's best to reinforce the hub by pressing a ring of
metal around it, gluing it in place with epoxy.