Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Tapping hole in brass question

I do it every chance I get. My big problem is that the chuck
can't grab the hardened tap well enough. Any thoughts or ideas?
I'm not quite ready to grind 3 flats on the tap.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"RoyJ" wrote in message
Ah ha. An improvement! Can you run those in 6-32 or 8-32 in
aluminum with a low speed cordless drill?

If I can get it by the crusty old codger I'll do it.

Bruce Spainhower wrote:
RoyJ wrote in
:

Hope someone can settle an argument: The part is a 1" long x
3/8" OD x 3/16" ID brass bushing that needs a 6-32 set screw.
Tap drill goes all the way through both walls for convenience.
Hand tap with straight flute tapered tap and 'T' handle.
Quick prototype level part, only making 2 of them, precision
not required.

Questions: tap dry or use what lubricant? Backup the usual 1/3
turn to break the chip necessary on this part?

Do yourself a favor and go buy 2-flute gun taps in all the
smaller sizes you use, and 3-flute gun taps for the larger
sizes. They throw the chips in front of the tap, which means
you'll never have to back up in any material unless it's a
blind hole, and then only to empty the chips when you're done.
Tap brass dry, aluminum with kerosene or d-limonene (orange
oil), and steel with Rapid Tap. Once you try gun taps, you'll
wonder how they still sell the standard 4-flute taps.