Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Tapping hole in brass question

I like it!

BillM wrote:
"RoyJ" wrote in message
Ah ha. An improvement! Can you run those in 6-32 or 8-32
in aluminum with a low speed cordless drill?

If I can get it by the crusty old codger I'll do it.

Bruce Spainhower wrote:
RoyJ wrote in
:
Do yourself a favor and go buy 2-flute gun taps in all
the smaller sizes you use, and 3-flute gun taps for the
larger sizes. They throw the chips in front of the tap,
which means you'll never have to back up in any material
unless it's a blind hole, and then only to empty the
chips when you're done. Tap brass dry, aluminum with
kerosene or d-limonene (orange oil), and steel with Rapid
Tap. Once you try gun taps, you'll wonder how they still
sell the standard 4-flute taps.

Just 10 minutes ago I tapped 16 10-32 through holes in 3/4"
6061 using a 2 flute
tap and a cordless drill. Lube was a couple of drops of
Alumi-cut. No backing up,
just stick it in the #21 hole and tap 3/4" through.