Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default The case for nuclear energy

Andy Hall wrote:

On 2007-12-02 19:11:15 +0000, Andy Champ said:

I actually quite like wind turbines - I've even gone to gawp at
windfarms - but we need to do something else, bigger.
Perhaps if fusion had been funded properly when I was a child my
children would be seeing it in production now, and that's be the
answer, but it isn't (yet). But *we must do something!*

Yes. It's called nuclear fission technology.

There's no doubt it can make a huge difference to a nation's CO2
emissions. Compare England to France. Similar populations, similar
industrialisation, similar natural resources.

RANK NATION CO2_TOT
8 UNITED KINGDOM 160179
15 FRANCE (INCLUDING MONACO) 101927

True, France has a long way to go, but it emits just 63% of the CO2
emitted by the UK. The major difference between the two countries is
that France has invested in nuclear energy. Another (lesser) difference
is that France has not listened to whining eco-loonies when it comes to
the subject of generating energy from natural resources and has
instituted a program of developing tidal and HEP to a level that is
unknown in the UK. This is not because the UK is incapable of
engineering and financing such schemes, it is because we let ourselves
be weighed down by the "save the lesser spotted green tench" brigade
whose prognostications of doom if we do (X) inevitably turn out to be
hysterical crap.