Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default $3.249 Gal. For #2 Home Heating Oil

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 2, 12:29 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

And here we have it folks. A classic case of the alarmist
extremist. Note there is no definition of what constitutes a
"toxic
spill". Today, when there is a vehicle accident on the highway and
gas or diesel fuel is released, it's considered a toxic spill.
But is it a big deal and environmental disaster? Of course not.
Depending on the location, it might be an immediate threat to public
health.
I will not give you the obvious examples because your reason for
being in
this discussion is to disagree.
The point is that environmental fear mongering alarmists like to use
words likie "toxic spill" to scare people. A spill from a simple car
accident of fuel or antifreeze isn't what most people would think of
when they hear toxic spill, yet today it qualifies and clean up crews
are routinely dispatched and the incident logged.
Do you think they should NOT be dispatched?
For the most part, yes, I think that as well--it's massive overreaction.

Train car of benzene, sure -- car wreck w/ a hole punched in the
radiator...ummhhh, not so much...

Great! We have a chemist in the discussion. Why is it illegal to dump
these things into a hole in the ground?

That's controlling a deliberate act rather than results of a minor
accident.

Think "deeper". Why is it illegal?

Separate question: Tanker filled with diesel fuel - what do YOU think
should be done if there's an accident and the whole load spills onto a
highway?

Offload as much as possible, and pick up what can be, of course. Full-body
HAZMAT suits and the whole deal they've turned it into as a welfare
program for the emergency response lobby--leave it home or send it back as
soon as determine what it was. If it's in a rural area, easiest solution
of the residual would typically be to simply burn it off, controlling the
perimeter.

Pick it up of course? You said that.

No, what I wrote was "what can be"...

Why should it be picked up?

Well, it has some value if nothing else if it has pooled somewhere such
that it can be.

The entire load has spilled. There's a teaspoon left in the tanker.

Sh^htuff happens. Not often that _all_ is lost, however, before
somebody can get there to offload the remainder. Often, if it's an
actual traffic accident that caused it, the solution is already in place
as previously mentioned.

It's not reasonable action I question, it's the practice of carrying
those to extremes that spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars
for no useful effect on insignificant problems that I wonder about...