Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Brian Henderson wrote:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 00:17:24 -0700, Just Wondering
wrote:

So how did the farmers get their crops in, say, 40 years ago, before there
was the massive flood of illegals we have now?

The same is true of all the jobs that are largely done by illegals
today. We didn't just start having maids in hotels after the illegals
showed up, Americans did those jobs just fine then, they'll do them
just fine now.

Americans did those jobs just fine back then because there were people who
needed jobs to live and took even low paying jobs until something better
came along.

One of the means to make sure that the laborers are available is to end
the dependency class mindset we have in this country. Sure, some jobs
aren't very appealing or inviting -- they aren't meant to be careers, they
are meant to be a stepping stone to the next job or pay for education. My
grandmother cleaned houses when she was young. I raised pigs when I was
going to college, others have waited tables, etc. Why in the world should
people think that the rest of the country owes them a living just because
the jobs available aren't glamour jobs? It might mean that people will
have to move to where the jobs are and leave behind family and friends; I'm
sorry but that is life in the world. All of the angst over how much the
military costs, or the failures of this technology program, etc we hear
daily. But do we ever hear anything about the wasted trillions of dollars
dumped into a system that makes it more profitable for someone to stay home
rather than take a low-paying job or that built houses for unemployed
people in Appalachia, but after the houses were built left the residents in
nice houses in an area where all the jobs were gone?