Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BobH BobH is offline

Default Air Compressor Questions

BobH wrote:
I am looking at replacing my old shop air compressor and have been
looking at the rotary screw type compressors because they are quiet.
They are a lot more money than a piston type compressor. The smallest
ones I have seen are 5HP which would be about the right size for what I
want.

Does anybody know whether they output clean air or is there a lot of oil to
be removed?

Would I need to run a big filter and refrigerated dryer to paint or use
a plasma cutter?

Thanks,
BobH

Thanks for the information Everybody!

The main reason I was looking at the screw type compressor was for the
quiet operation. The compressor lives in the shop with me and I want
something as quiet as reasonably possible. Putting it outside or in a
separate room are not really options for me. Currently, I use an old
Speedair that is so noisy that I almost never use it. The oil-less ones
are worse. I need something to keep up with a small bead blast cabinet,
but if I had a compressor that did not chase me out of the shop, I would
use compressed air a lot more.

Are low RPM compressors available as small as 5 HP?

Thanks,
BobH