Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fitch R. Williams Fitch R. Williams is offline

Default get rid of mercaptant

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Fitch R. Williams writes:

t-butyl-mercaptan is the principle constituent of the smell of a skunk.

Like any good perfume, it's more complicated than that.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~wfw2/chemofskunkspray.html

True, but the thiols on that page are butyl-mercaptan derivatives.
t-butyl mercaptan is what I think is added to natural gas - it is, in
any event, rather unpleasant smelling stuff.

If you want to get rid of it, it can be oxidized into something that
doesn't stink, but I don't remember what that is. A person wanting to
neutralize the odor might try hydrogen peroxide as the web page
suggests.

Fitch