Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Questions

"Gerry" wrote in message
On Dec 1, 5:10 pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I'm going to look at a Clausing 5914 being sold by a welding shop that
is closing at yearend, and I'm looking for a list of issues to be aware
of. The seller is an electrician and makes no claim to be a machinist,
and isn't able to answer my questions.

What I do know: 13" by 40", 208 volts 3 phase, motor HP unknown. Lots
of accessories are included, but the seller does not know their names or
functions.

I also have some more general questions.

1. Does or can the 5914 come with a camlock spindle? (The seller said
it was both camlock and threaded; he may have been thinking of the 5C
collets showing in the photo.) Or did people adapt threaded spindles
somehow? If yes, how well does it work?

2. It is claimed that this 5914 is varispeed. Is this possible? I
suppose someone could have modified the machine.

3. How well does the varispeed work, and what are its failure modes?

4. I think that the machine is under power, so I'll be able to listen
to bearings. What else should I look for in the headstock?

5. I'll look at the ways for wear. The claim is that condition is
good, but who knows what that means.

6. What is the footprint and weight of this machine?

7. What things usually break?

8. What have I missed?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

AFAIK, the Clausin is a variable speed machine. I have not seen one
with a camlock setup. Here is a set of pics I goggled up for you to
look at http://www.pbase.com/clausenm/newtoy

I don't see the original post so will reply to this one.

1) The 5900-series lathes all had L-00 spindles so far as I know.

2) The 5914 had a Reeves drive type variable speed system and was powered
with a 2 HP 3-ph motor. It's easy to power that with a VFD controlled by
the original drum switch.

3) It works well, problems are related to not maintaining Delrin sleeves in
the motor and countershaft pulleys, which can lead to very expensive
repairs, or to air in the hydraulic line, which prevents full speed control.
Replacement sleeves are $30 or so from Clausing and one should plan on
replacing them.

4) The headstock gears are oil lubricated and it is pretty easy to pull the
top for a look see.

5) The ways were flame hardened and generally hold up well. Excessive wear
there could be a cause for concern as it would suggest hard use. Clausing
sells replacement leadscrews and nuts.

6) The 5914 is a 12x36 lathe with a footprint of about 29" x 72" and weighed
around 1,000 lbs.

7) The vari-speed system is the main thing to check. With the machine under
power, check the shaft that protrudes slightly bear the bottom of the left
hand pedestal and look for excessive wbble (~1/8"?). That could indicate
wear on the motor pulley sleeve. With luck, fixing that might be as simple
as replacing the $30 sleeve but there could be damage to the pulley hubs
which is a much more serious situation. Clausing seems to supply most or
all of the parts that routinely need replacement and prices are generally
not too bad IMHO.

8) Accessories like steady, follower, and taper attachment are very hard to
find and bring good prices on the used market so any of those could be a big
plus if you need them or a source of cash if you don't and sell them. The
steady can bring $350 on ebay and the taper attachment $350-600 depending on
condition. The 5914 had a clutch/brake system which some find very useful.
Check the gear train for broken teeth. Spindle nose runout was originally
spec'd at 0.0003" which is easy to check. Check the oil levels on the
headstock and apron - low or no level might indicate poor maintenance.
Check backlash on the compound and cross feed. The nuts are fairly cheap
and easy to replace ($60 each?). New leadscrews run more like $250. If you
buy, plan on pulling the motor pulley and checking that sleeve for wear.
Most of the bearings on the vari-speed system are standard and cheap to
replace. If the seller doesn't have a manual, Clausing will sell you one
keyed to your S/N for around $25. They need the S/N so get that before
calling and ask for a parts price list. The manual is really pretty good
compared to others I have seen and has lots of maintenance info.

I've been very happy with mine despite having to replace the motor pulley
($700 about 6 years ago). It was fairly easy to disassemble and move down
to the basement. The headstock is pinned to the bed - watch out for that if
you plan on disassembling.

Mike