Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Questions

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I also have some more general questions.

1. Does or can the 5914 come with a camlock spindle? (The seller said
it was both camlock and threaded; he may have been thinking of the 5C
collets showing in the photo.) Or did people adapt threaded spindles
somehow? If yes, how well does it work?

I believe it is a L00. Spindle is male taper with drive key, chuck is
female taper with drive key slot. Nut on spindle tightens chuck to spindle.

2. It is claimed that this 5914 is varispeed. Is this possible? I
suppose someone could have modified the machine.

Combination of hydraulics and sheaves that can be moved for various working
diameters. Like in a reeves drive or snowmobile sorta.

3. How well does the varispeed work, and what are its failure modes?

Hydraulics leak, coating on each sheave nose wears, delrin bushings crack
(if they are the white ones). The bushings are available from clausing at
about 26 buck but need to be bored to fit the other side of sheave. If the
green coating is ruined moglice is used to replace it. Some go straight to
a brass bushing.

4. I think that the machine is under power, so I'll be able to listen
to bearings. What else should I look for in the headstock?

I've got a 6300 that I'm restoring. Run that spindle in high and low.

5. I'll look at the ways for wear. The claim is that condition is
good, but who knows what that means.

6. What is the footprint and weight of this machine?

I'm not sure but I estimate my 6903 12x36 at 1500#. Pulled well on my 2000#
rated trailer.

7. What things usually break?

not sure

8. What have I missed?