Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Digger wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:23:30 GMT, John Horner
wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:44:13 GMT, John Horner
wrote:

There are very few modern Delta branded tools for which I'm
willing to pay a price premium, because it is almost all Chinese
junk much like the competition's. Why pay Delta prices for
Grizzly quality?

There was a time 15-20 years ago when Delta was the top of the
line
and brands like Jet were looked upon as crap. Now the situation
has
reversed and you're getting the brands that were laughed at years
ago getting all the awards and traditionally respected brands
losing out.

Indeed. This makes Delta/Porter-Cable's current attempt to
reposition itself as the brand of choice for "professional
woodworkers" seem like too-little, too late.

For a good laugh, check out the July 2007 press release:

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Abou...c-9f8f6a665324

These guys used to be the top of the food chain, but now are
somewhere in the middle.

As happened with Dewalt/Black&Decker talk about crap!!! I recently
bought a 45 YO Delta Unisaw and love it. Sold several other newer
Delta products at garage sale prices and was glad I didn't have to
haul them to the landfill.
The sad part is if you don't want to support China what are the
alternatives?? After they snubbed our navy even in "a port from
storm"
which has never been done in the history of sailing ships

You might want to look into the reasons that Matthew Perry visited
Japan.

will our
dip**** gov't limit imports....naw we are too STUPID to do
that!!!!!!!!!! It's the dollar folks, our gov't is selling us down
the
tubes.

So how is keeping the prices of tools in the US higher than for the
rest of the world helping American industry to grow? If our prices
are the highest in the world we aren't going to be selling much on the
world market and face it, the US domestic market doesn't have a huge
amount of growth potential for durable goods.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)