Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage wall finish?

On Dec 1, 9:34 pm, "SteveC" wrote:
I don't get it, if I have everything sealed up by chaulking, where is the
problem here???

Please explain.

Let's assume you could seal everything up watertight, which IMO from a
practical standpoint, would be next to impossible. Now you have a
garage all full of water in the middle of a cold winter. I don't
know about you, but most people have all kinds of stuff in their
garage. Things like tools, bicycles, parts, God only knows what.
How about your car? Do you want your cars sitting in a garage bay
that's going to be wet for how long till it dries out? If it's
heated it will dry out sooner, but with today's energy costs, that
doesn't sound like a very good idea either. You'd have to vent it or
use a dehumidifier to get the moisture out and that means more energy
out the window.

You can get your car washed for $10 bucks at the car wash, which
sounds like a much better idea to me.

--
Stevehttp://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak"DanG" wrote in message

yea, it sounds like you're begging to grow mold big time.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"SteveC" wrote in message
.. .
I've wondered this as well. I want to do it cause I would like to be
able to wash the car in there in the winter. I also thought about using
the drywall that is used in bathrooms, then tape it up really well. Then
paint with good quality semigloss paint. Then line the bottom half of
the wall with thin Pexiglass to resist "most" of the water, sealing the
joints with clear waterproof chaulking.

That should be a good protection against rot.

Anyone see anything wrong with that setup?

--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak
"backally" wrote in message
My winter project is going to be to finish off my garage. It is
presently heated, insulated and drywalled. What kind of finish should
I have put on the walls? Plaster? Kalkote? Is there something I can
put on, then paint with at good paint so when I want to clean the
garage I can come in and just hose the walls down without damaging
them? I had my kitchen updated a couple years back and they used
kalkote. Fiberglass tape on the joints, spread the kalkote over the
tape and any small imperfections in the drywall, looked less labor
intensive than filling and sanding seams.

Thanks
Backally- Hide quoted text -