Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Chris is offline

Default Bandsaw blade MORE!

After I was done posting the original message, I read a few then headed back
over to the garage where I keep the bandsaw, as I entered the kitchen I
could smell a slight whiff of smoke, when I opened the garage door the area
was filled with a haze of smoke. I couldn't imagine where it was coming
from, I thought electrical? I unplugged everything, then I noticed slight
smoke from the bottom of the bandsaw. I felt the machine, it was cool to the
touch, I looked behind it and there was glowing embers in the sawdust. I'm
not great about cleaning up the sawdust around the bandsaw. I don't have
dust collection, I use a shop vac attached by hose to my jointer & planer,
but don't both with the TS or BS. I really don't know what was so hot to
cause this to happen. Maybe a spark from ceramic guides? A slither of an old
nail that was in the wood? I guess I'll never know, but I shudder to think
what would have happened if I had not went back there. I'll be mounting a
smoke detector now and I'll have to be better about the pile of fine
sawdust.

A cautionary tale!