Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John2005 John2005 is offline

Default Recommendation for tap fit hole tolerance in 4140 pre-hard steel

Thanks for the additional info Jim

I had considered moving the needle bearings into the housing, but It
seemed that when pressing the pin through the upright support and then
into the bearing bore, I would not be able to feel if it were going
into the bearing or perhaps hurting the bearing. If the bearings are
pressed into the supports first, then I can slide the pin through the
bearing ID, feel it start in the housing hole, then push it through to
the other side. I was going to start a pin just a little on one side
for alignment, then press another pin in from the other side, the
second pin will push out the first pin as it goes through.

If I don't put the bearings in the housing, I like your suggestion to
press the bearings in last. This way I could press the pin through and
not worry about hurting the bearings, and then press the bearings into
the upright supports last. The full complement needles are retained by
the ends of the cup, so theres no problem with them coming out. I have
to use a hard shaft for this application so that's why I'm sticking
with a dowel pin, it comes in the exact length and OD I need, plus
their fairly cheap.

Thanks again,
John