Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Gutters Freezing Up

On Dec 1, 7:45 pm, lagman wrote:
On Dec 1, 6:16 pm, "New & Improved - N/F John"

wrote:
I understand ice damming is the issue. There is much to read on this
subject.

What is an ice dam?
An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the edge of a roof and prevents
melting snow (water) from draining off the roof. The water that backs up
behind the dam can leak into a home and cause damage to walls, ceilings,
insulation, and other areas. See the following link:http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1068.html

There are solutions. Read on. Good luck. Peace.

"lagman" wrote in message

I just moved into a new house in IA. We had our first bad ice storm
of the year, and one section of my gutters froze up and some water
backed up into the house.

Would gutter covers fix this problem, or should I install a heating
element in the gutter?

Thanks,
Dan

I don't think it is an ice dam. An Ice dam looks like there would be
ice completely covering the end of the roof and gutter. The problem I
have is near freezing water flowing down the roof and slush buildup in
the gutter itself, which is preventing water to flow to the downspout.- Hide quoted text -

I doubt it's a ice dam also...you wouldn't get an ice dam from a
single ice storm. You need substantial snow on the roof that melts
near the eaves and freezes once it gets in the gutters.

Have you checked the gutters for debris? (first guess) Or for the
proper drainage angle? (long shot)

Covers *might* prevent debris from blocking the gutters but you have
to find out if that's the problem first. Ice melt wires could
help...they prevent ice dams at my house. We'll, actually, they
prevent *major* ice dams. I still get some icicles which indicates
damming, but haven't had water in the house since I put them up.
However, since we don't think you have ice dams at this point, they
still might prevent the gutters from freezing up.

On the other hand...ice storms are a strange animal and can cause
symptoms that might not happen under "normal" winter conditions. Is IA
subject to a lot of ice storms? If so, you certainly should determine
the root cause of the probelm and get it taken care of.