Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S. Charlie S. is offline

Default Keeping front door closed

Thanks, will buy a quality lock. I'll look for the Schlage brand.

I bought a Dremel Rotary tool about 2 months ago. I haven't used it
yet.
Could I use this to drill a hole behind the strikeplate. (I have
filler
in there now as I covered it up years ago.) I know I could use a drill
or
any chisel type tool. Just looking for an easy way to do it.

Depends on what size hole you want to drill. Anything larger than 1/8"
is
best left to a 'real' drill. Dremels are great, but they're for small
jobs. I'm guessing you'll need to drill a hole about 7/8" wide, but the
lock will come with a template that says what size. If that's the
case,
you'll be looking for a Speedbor (spade) drill bit.

Also, check out a locksmith. The lock companies (and many other
companies,
like Sony) may have one model for Wal-Mart, Home Cheapo, etc. and
another
almost identical model for the local "specialty" shops, which cost more
but are usually better. I bought some Schlage locks at Home Cheapo a
few
years ago & had them rekeyed at the local locksmith. He opened it up &
upon seeing the insides, said "so you bought this at home depot huh?"
and
proceeded to put a part or two in it.

Thanks! Will test the fill material for ease of extraction and buy a
Speedbor if it doesn't dislodge easily.

Also, will buy the lock from a locksmith. I agree; it's more likely
they
would have the model with better parts.

Kind of interesting you and other members recommended buying a good lock.
Never gave it much thought; To me a lock is a lock. That was until a
couple
days ago when I decided to replace the top deadbolt lock with a high
quality
commercial type lock. It's about 10% larger than the typical home lock,
but
looked nicer and more secure than other models. So, I decided to spurge.

Installed it, and after testing it out, instantly realized that spending
the
extra $15-$20 was well worth it. The turning knob is comfortably larger
and
the locking mechanism feels very smooth. On the other hand, I also
bought a
POS model for the rear door. It's like day and night as to the
experience
of using the two locks. Putting in the key is not nearly as smooth and
took
some getting used to using the inside locking mechanism.- Hide quoted
text -

I don't know the layout your house, but it seems to me that if I was
going to intall a POS lock on one door and a quality lock on the
other, I'd put the POS on the front door. My rear door is secluded and
would be the most likely spot for an intruder to attempt entry.

For security reasons that makes much more sense. Actually, maybe I should
replace the rear door, The lock opening mechanism can be easily accessed by
breaking a small glass pane. It's a very old style door with low window
panes located inches away from the lock. Or, get a dual key type lock.
And,put the key out of reach of any possible intruder.