Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default Whirlpool bathtubs

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 22:24:40 GMT, wrote:

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:30:53 GMT, KLS wrote:

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:18:12 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

From own experiences with my customers that I have wired and gone back
months or years later for other things: The novelty wears off and they don't
get used that much. Personally I would get a portable hot tub outside on
the patio or deck. I think that would get used more often, but they do
require daily maintenance.

Yes, plus the filter must run 24/7, running up the electric bill. Not
by much, but by enough that if you're not using the spa at least
weekly, you should consider whether it's worth the energy use/waste.

Completely wrong. My spa runs the filter for 1 hour every 12 hours. It also runs
whenever the temp falls below what I set it to maintain. The amount of
maintenance a spa requires is miniscule. I add a small amount of sanitizer after
each use, (not daily) and check the water with a simple test strip about once
every 3 weeks to check overall water quality. It rarely needs much adjustment,
and if it does, that's not a big deal, either.

I drain, wipe down and refill the tub about every 3 or 4 months. Draining takes
about 45 minutes, filling takes about 30 minutes. Most of that I don't need to
be there. Not much actual "labor" involved.

Brushing your teeth before you go to bed each night is at least as much work, or
maybe more.

Electricity averages out to about $25 a month over a year. I'm in New England.

The rewards are more than worth it. Laying out in 102-103 degree water under a
starry winter night with a little snow drifting down is simply awesome.

You're right that the rewards are simply awesome; in fact, I'll be
going out to mine after dinner, where the outside temp is 18F and
there's snow on the ground. My point about running the filter though
was that for mine, I run it for 4 hours 2x a day, otherwise the
chemistry gets out of whack because of the number of people using it.