Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Connecting PVC Pipe to Steel Valve?

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 13:15:31 -0700, "Elle"
wrote:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience Oren,
Richard, Mamba, Joe, Jim and Franz. It's raining here today,
so I am not doing more than a little measuring, cutting, and
gluing. I will try the teflon piping dope.

I have been learning the hard way that the key to a good
thread fit (with PVC) is not overtightening, so the
re-emphasis on this by several of you helps.

I will report back after the job. It's a little tricky
because I have to glue other joints before I can apply the
operating pressure to the two adapter-valve joints under
discussion. And as you all know, once glued... I may put in
unions to help ease the pain of a mess-up at the valve(s),
due to yours truly not being experienced enough in plumbing.

G I have a brass Resistant Pressure Vacuum Breaker similar to this
photo. Connecting the whole works was fun. I don't use the 1/4"
fittings ( could make misters for Summer) . With a brass T I have a
hose bib (ball valve) and the pool filler/water supply connected. PVC
to the pool from 3/4" too 1/2" on an elbow reduced.

I might change away from tape in my case. I live in the desert and
sealant might be better than tape.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/1/03834.jpg