Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA JANA is offline

Default Do electrolytic capacitors blow up when old?

I would not worry about the caps blowing up. I you have good quality
flashes, most likely the caps are properly rated to be very safe. It is very
rare that these caps blow up. Usually they will fizzle out. They are
supposed to have a release.

If a cap was to blow up, the case of the flash should be strong enough to
not break opened or be destroyed.

--

JANA
_____

"peter" wrote in message
Electrolytic capacitors sometimes blow up -- due to heat, old age, or lack
of use(?).

I have some old studio flashes used for photography and they contain some
high voltage electrolytic capacitors. I use them once in a long while. But
if they ever blow up, it would be very unpleasant.

Could someone reassure me that it is not going to happen, or suggest a
solution?