Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Bandsaw blade help

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 15:23:26 -0500, "Chris"
wrote:

I was resawing a fair amount of southern yellow pine on the bandsaw, it's
dry, it's been floor joists in a warehouse for the last 100 years.As I was
cutting I got a whiff of a burning smell & stopped to check. The blade has
a fair build up of pitch, on the teeth, in the gullets ,but mostly on the
back of the blade. The back of the blade is like you smeared a very fine
coat of glue and dusted it with fine sawdust. The tires are coated the same
too. So, what is the best way to clean this? Don't think I can do it with
the blade on, can I? Is it anything to be concerned about or is just normal
with this kind of wood?

Thx,
Chris

Cleaning the blade and tires are parts of a total bandsaw tune up.
Mineral spirits, like others have stated, will clean the metal blade.
Some solvents may attack rubber. I believe Duginski talks about using
sandpaper wound on a stick to clean some kinds of bandsaw tires.