Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Questions

I'm going to look at a Clausing 5914 being sold by a welding shop that
is closing at yearend, and I'm looking for a list of issues to be aware
of. The seller is an electrician and makes no claim to be a machinist,
and isn't able to answer my questions.

What I do know: 13" by 40", 208 volts 3 phase, motor HP unknown. Lots
of accessories are included, but the seller does not know their names or
functions.

I also have some more general questions.

1. Does or can the 5914 come with a camlock spindle? (The seller said
it was both camlock and threaded; he may have been thinking of the 5C
collets showing in the photo.) Or did people adapt threaded spindles
somehow? If yes, how well does it work?

2. It is claimed that this 5914 is varispeed. Is this possible? I
suppose someone could have modified the machine.

3. How well does the varispeed work, and what are its failure modes?

4. I think that the machine is under power, so I'll be able to listen
to bearings. What else should I look for in the headstock?

5. I'll look at the ways for wear. The claim is that condition is
good, but who knows what that means.

6. What is the footprint and weight of this machine?

7. What things usually break?

8. What have I missed?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn