Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Sears tractor keeps destroying pulleys

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 30, 8:26 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
dpb wrote:
Not sure what OP is calling a "star" drive

The end of the mandrel is shaped rather like an asterisk. It's
maybe 3/4 - 1" in diameter and the blade has a matching hole that
fits over it. Belt turns pully, pully turns mandrel, mandrel
(star) turns blades.

-- could be that it's
failing there because it was designed as the weak point.

Nope. It isn't weak.

mandrel is shaped rather like an asterisk...the blade has a
matching hole

________________

But the OP said the *pully* mates with the star shapped shaft, not
the blade.

So he did. And it is. I misread. Actually, there is a star at both
ends of the mandrel shaft...a beefy one for the blade, another smaller
for the pulley.

Just going by memory - I'm not going to go drop my deck to look -
there are two pulleys on the left...one for idler, another for the
blade drive belt.

On my deck there is also a large washer *under* both the left and
right blade pulleys. It's location there is kinda counter-intuitive
as usually washers go between the nut and whatever is being held on
but the reason for it being under the pulley is to elevate the pulley
so it's hub is completely on the shaft's "star". (IIRC correctly, the
washer also creates sort of a broader base for the pulley to resist
wobble.) If the washer is missing (or on top) the pulley's hub only
partially engages the drive on the shaft. Which means it would strip
more easily.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...