Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fireplace Question

"buddd" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently moved into a home with a fireplace. Everything is fine
except that the perimeter around the fireplace (on the floor) is not
sufficient. The law here is that the fireplace needs to be surrounded
by 18 inches of fireproof material on the floor. Mine only has 12
inches.

Currently my fireplace is surrounded by fireproof tile.

A friend mention that one can buy a fireproof sheet that can be placed
on the floor and thereby satisfy the legal requirement.

Does anyone know of a product that can do this and where I can buy it?

I went to the local home hardware store and came up empty. They are
definately not the brightest people working there.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

First, check your yellow pages under "Fireplaces". There may be a specialty
store in your town that you haven't found yet. Home Despot or Lowe's may
carry these things, but like the hardware store, you may get a blank stare
when you ask.

Finally, a google search using the appropriate words should give you some
answers. I won't give a hint about those words because if you can't think of
them yourself, you probably shouldn't be operating a fireplace or handling
anything trickier than a spoon.