Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do electrolytic capacitors blow up when old?

"peter" hath wroth:

Electrolytic capacitors sometimes blow up -- due to heat, old age, or lack
of use(?).

I have some old studio flashes used for photography and they contain some
high voltage electrolytic capacitors. I use them once in a long while. But
if they ever blow up, it would be very unpleasant.

Could someone reassure me that it is not going to happen, or suggest a
solution?

Dunno. There's quite a bit on the topic of old electrolytic caps in
the cazapitor section of the Repair FAQ at:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/captest.htm

Photoflash:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/captest.htm#ctpfc

--