Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Just a few thoughts on tool ownership vs use

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 02:03:50 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Tools I have used in the last two weeks:
1" 1/4", 3/4" skew
1/2", 1" straight chisel
parting tool
narrow parting tool
1/8" straight, 90*, 45* hollowing tools
3/16" straight, 45* hollowing tools with 5/8" shaft and offset handle
3/4" roughing gouge
3/16", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" Oland tools
1" scraper
and likely a few I have forgotten. Not to mention a four jaw chuck and stuff
like band saw and chainsaw. In other words, my turning time is very limited
right now. I find that the guys who use only three or four tools tend to
turn the same thing over and over. I like a lot of variety in my turning so
it seems to call for a variety of tools.

Tools I have used in the last two weeks:
3/8" bowl gouge
1/2" round-nose scraper
3/4" roughing gouge
Homemade 3/8" gouge
6 or 7 assorted files
Hacksaw
Dozuki saw
3 or 4 assorted width (flatwork) wood chisels
Hammer-tacker (had to insulate the attic, ugh.)
Utility knife
Drill Press
Tablesaw
Miter saw
Router
Scroll saw
Knee mill
Tap arm
Anvil/forge
Assorted hammers
Angle grinder
CNC laser cutter
Handheld plasma cutter
Wirefeed welder
Variable speed jigsaw
Bandsaw
Capacitor-discharge welder
Forklift/pallet jack
Calipers/mics/etc.
Stationary shear
Handheld power shear
Vise
Drain snake
Pipe wrench
Assorted visegrips, pliers and channel-locks
Assorted box-end wrenches and sockets
Assorted hex keys
Bench grinder
Wire wheel & buffing wheels (mounted on the lathe)
Probably more I've forgotten.

There's no getting away with just a few for me...