Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default making babbitt question

I hereby nominate FG as the KING OF GOOGLE.

For this week anyway. :-)

GWE

Robert Swinney wrote:

Nice refs. F. George, thanks.

Bob Swinney
"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:37:41 -0500, Wes wrote:

Uncle is restoring a corn shucker for his cousin. The thing has babbitt
bearings and he is a bit short of enough metal to re-babbitt it.

I figured he could take some tin (we have about 5# between us) and add that
to make up enough. The 90% Tin 10% Plumbum alloy ought to work.

I see some mixes use copper. Remembering the woodsmetal thread where it was
said that a low melting point metal will disolve a higher melting point
metal, I wonder if copper could be disolved in tin at just about tin's
melting point. Any one know how they alloy copper into babbitt?

Wes

=============
Lindsay has the information you need
click on
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/babbitt/index.html
[this is a Gingery book and very much for the modern ocasional
user.

also see the following for mixing your own.
http://lindsaybks.com/bks7/babb/index.html
http://lindsaybks.com/bks4/babbitt/index.html
for the older techniques and what they used before moglice to
rebuild special nuts.

for old composition click on
http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...s/Babbitt1.htm

new babbitt is available -- click on [but be setting down]
http://www.centaurforge.com/prodinfo.asp?number=10CARB
http://www.magnoliabronze.com/adamant.htm

http://www.alchemyextrusions.com/bab...?source=Google
http://www.aimalloys.com/solder_prod...bitt_metal.htm

supplies
http://www.rotometals.com/Pewter-Cas...bbits_c_1.html

Hope this helps -- let the group know how things went and if
possible post some pictures to the drop box.
http://www.metalworking.com/

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.