Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Connecting PVC Pipe to Steel Valve?

On Nov 30, 9:09 pm, Joe wrote:
On Nov 30, 7:28 pm, "Mamba" wrote:

"Elle" wrote in message

I am re-plumbing part of my pool filter system. Previously,
a 3/4-inch metal valve was threaded to 3/4-inch PVC piping.
The PVC piping has a PVC male adapter, which fits into the
female threads of the metal valve. I am replacing the PVC
male adapter but find it is a very tight fit. A lot of
torque would be necessary to get it into the previous depth.

I have a 1.25 inch metal valve connecting to a 1.25-inch PVC
male adapter with the same situation.

Do I just use teflon tape on the threads and then apply a
lot of torque until each PVC male adapter inserts at least
halfway into its metal valve?

Thank you in advance.

(Posted also to alt.home.lawn.garden.)

An alternative to teflon tape is also non-hardening thread sealant. It
helps act as a lube for pipe tightening. I used it to connect my 1.5" PVC
from my household pressure tank to metal valves controlling my in-house
supply. I got an extra couple of turns out of it using the sealant, which
cured a slow leak problem I had after my initial installation.

Another well regarded sealant is Teflon pipe dope. Very slick and non
hardening. HTH

Joe- Hide quoted text -

Pipe dope is the best yes