Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Silicone (GE II) too soft for roofing/siding or inside panelsabove/to extra shower?

On Nov 30, 2:46 pm, "bent" wrote:
I just used some elsewhere outdoors where it is reaching 0 celsius now. But
I had some I wiped on a piece of paper in the garage, where it doesn't get
into single digits celsius, and its still gooey after several days. So I
still have a couple of jobs to do, and I bought and was planning on using
Silicone GE II for.

snip

Better get a different type.
Persistant negative stories in this NG confirm my own experience with
GE Silicone II and curing problems. The stuff just doesn't have the
qualities of the original compounds. I've gone back to the
conventional silicones, Dow, generic, GE, whatever and they all work
just fine. Best of the lot was a generic from True Value Hardware of
all places. Cured rapidly, completely, but was a tad runny compared to
other brands, but OK otherwise. The best clue seems to be a strong
acetic acid (vinegar) odor indicating aggressive curing is taking
place. HTH

Joe