Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default What size nut is on septic clean outs? (4" pipe)

"Joe" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 7:48 am, wrote:
On Nov 29, 11:45 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

wrote in message

I cannot bust this cleanout cap free to save my life and I'm afraid
that I'm going to strip it with my adjustable wrench or pipe wrench.
Some are square but some are not - this one is not. I'm thinking
it's
1 5/16" My biggest socket is 1 1/4 and its a no go.

I've done this on a spa repair. Cut off the top of the square cap.
Cut two
radial cuts from the center out with a hack saw blade or a saber saw.
Pick
a place where the plastic that is sticking up will give you something
grasp with the pliers. Where they come in contact with the outside of
the
circle should be about 1/2". DO NOT CUT INTO THE THREADS. Carefully,
with
pliers and whatever you can use, remove the small wedge. The rest of
the
plug will be easy to rotate by grasping it with pliers on one of the
three
remaining vertical walls of the square cap. Take your time. Take care
not
to damage the threads.

Steve

A couple of problems - it's not a square cap that's why I was asking
what socket size. Secondly, it's not plastic it's brass. Brass cap
on a cast iron line.

Your only hope is to get a six point socket the right size and an
impact wrench. If you don't own them already, check a tool rental
place for air compressor and impact. It may break up the brass, but
that's not all bad. Failing that, you will have to drill and cut the
plug to the point where it can be removed. Or you can call a plumber
and watch while he deals with it. He may have some unique tricks, a
monster torch or whatever, but it will be interesting. It may even be
necessary to replace the whole threaded cast iron hub in the worst
case, but at least give it a try to save a few $$ HTH

Joe

Sorry I was so far off base. I'd try some hot hot water, then maybe a small
torch. Soak with penetrant cold, then try it. Heat it up a bit and pour
some penetrant on it and try that. After that, good luck.

Steve