Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default What size nut is on septic clean outs? (4" pipe)

wrote in message
I cannot bust this cleanout cap free to save my life and I'm afraid
that I'm going to strip it with my adjustable wrench or pipe wrench.
Some are square but some are not - this one is not. I'm thinking it's
1 5/16" My biggest socket is 1 1/4 and its a no go.

I don't think anyone can tell you what size it is as there are no standards.
Just take a ruler and measure across the flats, keeping in mind that the
socket will have to be a little loose to fit over the hex. There are stamped
six sided sockets that are pretty inexpensive but you may have trouble
getting enough leverage. A big pipe wrench will grip the plug, also.

One trick to loosen those plugs is to hit it in the middle hard enough to
slightly dish it inwards. There is some risk of damaging the pipe or
loosening a joint so you have to use good judgement.

It is not hard to use a drill and saw to remove the plug, as other posters
have described.

Don Young