Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Keeping front door closed

"Charlie S." wrote in message
news:LUS3j.20649$Mg1.18671@trndny03...

Thanks, will buy a quality lock. I'll look for the Schlage brand.

I bought a Dremel Rotary tool about 2 months ago. I haven't used it yet.
Could I use this to drill a hole behind the strikeplate. (I have filler
in there now as I covered it up years ago.) I know I could use a drill or
any chisel type tool. Just looking for an easy way to do it.

Depends on what size hole you want to drill. Anything larger than 1/8" is
best left to a 'real' drill. Dremels are great, but they're for small jobs.
I'm guessing you'll need to drill a hole about 7/8" wide, but the lock will
come with a template that says what size. If that's the case, you'll be
looking for a Speedbor (spade) drill bit.

Also, check out a locksmith. The lock companies (and many other companies,
like Sony) may have one model for Wal-Mart, Home Cheapo, etc. and another
almost identical model for the local "specialty" shops, which cost more but
are usually better. I bought some Schlage locks at Home Cheapo a few years
ago & had them rekeyed at the local locksmith. He opened it up & upon seeing
the insides, said "so you bought this at home depot huh?" and proceeded to
put a part or two in it.