Posted to sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tubes, rec.audio.pro
Bret Ludwig Bret Ludwig is offline

Default Repair broken Tek 485 or buy good used 2465/A/B?

On Nov 29, 9:24 pm, wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:39 pm, "James Sweet" wrote:

Well using a 485 for that sort of work is sort of like using a McLaren F1 to
go buy groceries. It'll do the job just fine, but there remains a huge
amount of untapped capabilities.

That said, it'll do as fine a job as as anything else you can find, and as
old as it is, the price should be reasonable.

Well, point being I already have the 485 which I got free from a
friend who was hoping to use it but couldn't find the time over the
years. But then it died shortly after I received it from him.

My original query was based more around the thought "Should I put
money into this 485?". Or if it's too much hassle/cost to fix it would
I be better served (on the repair person's advice) to sell/trade it in
for a 2465 or another 485 he has (with the possible notion that I may
"grow" into whatever I end up with)...

If it can be fixed cheaply fine, but understand it's an asset that
has a fixed and not well known finite life ahead of it. If the tube or
any of half a dozen other things goes it's like, well, it's worse
than an antique car with a shattered engine block-you can't swap in an
incorrect but close looking engine. Tek made a cornucopia of CRTs
each unique to one or two models.