Posted to rec.woodworking
Mekon Mekon is offline

Default Theatre Stage Flats

pradeep gupta pretended :
Hi. I am a woodworker helping out an amature theatre group in making stock
scenery for their upcoming plays. They basically require a number of 1/4"
plywood covered 12'X4' frames made of 1"X3" pine. These have to be rigid
enough to stand on the stage just using a brace at about 6' height.
Two questions for the experienced woodworkers in this NG:
1. Best source for cheap but good and straight pine boards in the bay area.
2. The type of joints you would suggest for rails and styles, given the
dimensions.
Thanks in advance.

I use pine studs 70mmx35mm Butt jointed with long screws into the ends.
Three long verticals with two studs either end.

1/4 " ply is overkill and you don't want these things too heavy. They
will get that way after the first 20 coats of paint. I use the thinnest
ply I can buy that will cover the sheet. If you can't get a single
sheet to cover the frame put noggins at the join and masking tape over
the join on the audience side.

Some groups prefer to stretch canvas over the frame, I don't but that
could be that I prefer using wood.

I have some rough plans I drew up for another group if you want them.
Included is a plan for a door flat.

If they need any help with anything more specific, beyond just flats,
let me know. my theatre email address is president at frontrow dot
org dot au

Remember anything you do that can only be noticed while standing on the
stage is more than you have to.

Mekon