Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default making babbitt question

On Nov 30, 8:49 pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

Uncle is restoring a corn shucker for his cousin. The thing has babbitt
bearings and he is a bit short of enough metal to re-babbitt it.

I figured he could take some tin (we have about 5# between us) and add
that
to make up enough. The 90% Tin 10% Plumbum alloy ought to work.

I see some mixes use copper. Remembering the woodsmetal thread where it
was
said that a low melting point metal will disolve a higher melting point
metal, I wonder if copper could be disolved in tin at just about tin's
melting point. Any one know how they alloy copper into babbitt?

Wes

We have assembled printed circuit boards for some customers that
require lead free solder. We use 100% tin on some and it will dissolve
any bare copper circuit traces. The raw board has tin coating on the
copper traces, but if the pass through the convection oven takes too
long, so the tin is molten for too long, the copper under the tin
begins to dissolve into the tin coating. Temperature and speed have to
be just right.

Even normal 63/37 tin/lead solder in the wave solder machine will pick
up some copper from components with trimmed leads.

So, I guess if you can find some copper powder or finely ground copper
and added it to your babbit and stirred well, you would have your
alloy.

Paul