Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default How to paint dials on mill?

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

If you're interested in reading some of my ravings, a gentlemen compiled
several threads and posted them as a single download. I've never read
what
was compiled----I'm on a dreadfully slow dialup------but if you'd like to
peruse what I had to say, not only about grinding HSS, but grinders and
wheels, here's a link for the download:

http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

Harold

I got the file down and printed it out.

The only thing negative, that I have to say about it, is that it, when
viewed from the perspective of a rank novice, would serve tidily as a
deterrent to ever going near a metalworking tool. It does make it seem
like everything must be "just so" or you will not have any success at all.

To be quite frank, I do not suffer fools gladly. Anyone with an aptitude
can learn from what I had posted, and become very proficient at grinding
tools. Yes---I fully expect them to pay attention to my words. I'm VERY
good at grinding tools, even now.

Do the math. How many folks do you know that can grind decent tools? To
convey the idea that all you have to do is stab a toolbit at a grinding
wheel and it will cut is a disservice to anyone that desires to learn to
grind them. Tools cut for known reasons, so you must conform to the
guidelines involved, otherwise you're not going to experience the outcome
you may desire. A rank novice shouldn't be deceived into thinking there's
nothing to it, for that's not true. The big difference is, what I describe
isn't beyond the ability of anyone that has enough sense to come in out of
the rain, and has the ability to follow simple instructions. The rest is no
different from learning to play a musical instrument----practice until you
have it down.

Great info for an advanced beginner or at least a somewhat more
experienced metalworker, though. Very well written, and you are able to
communicate the ideas you are presenting in a very clear manner. That is
how it seemed to me, in any case.

Worth the read.

Thanks for the kind words.

One of my biggest fears when I first started posting was that I would be
unable to convey my message in such a way that it was meaningful. I have
no education beyond high school, and was a miserable student with a C
average in English. I was never known for my writing prowess and considered
that I may not be able to put two words together. English was one of the
classes that provided a generous portion of my sleeping hours, I'm not proud
to say.

I have had others comment that I appear to be able provide useful
information, but it's always nice to hear it from those that are
experienced.

The tools that you show there are a bit different than those I use
regularly. I use a lot of 3/16" and 1/4" HSS tools, either flat on top, or
ground with a fair bit of top rake. I use a lot of small boring bars,
ground very similarly to the one shown.

Size isn't a factor, as you likely understand. The principles remain the
same. Get the theory down, then practice grinding until it makes sense and
you achieve the desired results.

Abandoning a grinding rest (for grinding HSS) is one of the best things a
guy can do, but it requires a complete different mindset in order to be
successful. It's not an easy transition, but well worth the effort. OSHA
is likely to take a dim view. They have no authority over the home shop,
however.

I can confess to doing most roughing operations with Carbide, as it is
available and convenient, and when I must, I grind larger HSS tools, but
for the most part, the work that requires the finer tolerances, is
generally quite small, so small tool bits suffice.

I also used my share of carbide, often because it would move metal at a
faster rate------but guys with small lathes, fractional HP motors,
especially low speed, should be discouraged at every turn from emulating
that process. It's a total waste of time, expensive in the scheme of
things, but, worst of all, it deprives a person from learning to grind good
and useful tools-----which will hold a person captive until rectified.

Nothing turns me off quicker than to encounter a damned yokel that
proclaims himself a "machinist", yet he/she can't grind the simplest of
tools. Sort of like a guy with a buzz box in his garage, proudly
proclaiming to the world the he's a "welder". I've know weldors, most of
whom are certified. You can believe me when I tell you, a guy that can't
grind toolbits is to a machinist what a guy with a buzz box in his garage is
to a weldor.

I make it sound like all the apprentices are a bunch of clueless thickies.
Not all of them. I have several co-workers now, that came through in the
last few years and showed aptitude and willingness to learn from their
experiences, and the willingness to do good work, rather than the minimum
possible.

You are witnessing, in my opinion, the end product of children having been
raised by parents that have never had to pay a price for anything in their
life. Everything has been handed to these folks, so they don't equate effort
with reward. It's not just in your shop-----it's everywhere. Many of
the workers of today have absolutely no pride in what they do------but a
burning desire to make a ton of money. That idea does NOT a machinist
make. It's safe to say that many of these guys haven't yet learned that
you have to work---and apply yourself. They will----it's just a matter of
time. Some will drop out. We see them living under bridges. A select few
will make you proud. I know. My mentor showcased me regularly. Upper
management wanted to fire me because I was like those you complain about.
One day it all changed, thanks to that wonderful man, Jay Dobson, how
deceased. I owe him everything I became.

Few have the innate ability to make a good machinist. I witnessed that
when I was in training. It was obvious that some of the guys that got
involved were not suited. One guy, in particular, was the son of a
machinist, so he followed in his father's footsteps. He could have stayed
in the shop for his lifetime and wouldn't have been worth hiring. It simply
wasn't his cup of tea. By sharp contrast, many of those that were my peers
went on to become fine machinists, with a disproportionate number of them
eventually starting their own shops. All but one that I can recall were
successful.

I'll repeat another example I mentioned recently. One of the trainees was
obviously not happy in the shop. He quit and became an embalmer/undertaker.
While I never talked to him after he left training, his cousin, who was one
of the QC personnel, told me that he was well pleased with his new career.
As I said, not everyone is cut out to be a machinist.

Not allowed to beat the apprentices. Too bad. Some could use it.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Management as well. I had one foreman that I'd have slapped senseless
given the opportunity. He, single handedly, threw more cold water on me and
my ability than any other individual I ever encountered. He was clearly
intimidated by anyone with skill and talent, likely fearing for his job.
He displayed his contempt for me regularly by passing me over for overtime
work, yet inviting others, many of which were far less productive. I
solved that riddle my leaving the job, which wasn't much of one, anyway.
Good people seek their level. It became obvious to me that running my own
business was the level that was appropriate.

Turns out, it was. :-)

Harold