Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Silicone (GE II) too soft for roofing/siding or inside panels above/to extra shower?

"bent" wrote in message
silicone is an element on the periodic table.

there is a difference between silicon and silicone besides an e.

"bent" wrote in message
now thats the exact opposite of what i read on some website(s). I read
silicone lasts forever and anything else is waranteed to say only 50 yrs.
These tubes have a lifetime warantee, the synthetic, like 50, 35, etc.

Its
also by far the most expensive. Twice that of the next.

"ransley" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 2:46 pm, "bent" wrote:
I just used some elsewhere outdoors where it is reaching 0 celsius

now.
But
I had some I wiped on a piece of paper in the garage, where it
doesn't

get
into single digits celsius, and its still gooey after several days.

So
still have a couple of jobs to do, and I bought and was planning on

using
Silicone GE II for.

(i) On the roof, between the (std. asphalt residential) shingles and

the
aluminum siding to fill a 3/4" gap that has creaped away from the
last
caulking there.

(ii) Between the new walls and ceiling I just installed in the

basement
shower. It hasn't been used in years and probably won't for years to

come.
So there will be time to dry, but still. Its just a small square

unit,
and
the wall and ceiling panels are above the unit. Some splash will
make

its
way to the joints between the panels and the unit (maybe 6' high) and

the
rest of the joints are above that and is just going to be humid.

Just wondering if its too soft? ie need another type for these jobs?

eg
exchange for Latex?

Usenet

News==----http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Silicone caulk degrades in the tube, in its time of dated life. It
goes bad, is another way of saying it. Cure time goes up as temps go
down, and then do not exist, but for a real Pro call the Calk Co
manufacturer...

News==----

Newsgroups

=----