Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Storage Oscilloscope Tek 434 (was Repair broken Tek 485 or buy good used 2465/A/B?)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:02:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

OK, I have a question for the group. Gonna deviate a little here from
the original post...

What is a "Storage Oscilloscope"? Is there anything it can't do that a
normal oscilloscope can (for mostly audio purposes)?

I have a chance to get a Tek 434 locally. Anything I should know about
it? Any big problems with it?

Also, would the probes be compatible between the 485 and the 434?

Thanks,
Chris

Usually a 'storage' scope will allow you to save a trace that is one
time and keep it displayed for a long(er) period of time. That is it
won't fade out.

There are some downsides, but generally a storage scope will do all
that a regular scope will do, and then some.

Most scope general purpose probes are compatible. Speciality probes
are a different issue however. When I say compatible, we're talking an
industry standard and often probles from other makes of scopes will
work just fine with whatever you have. You will have to adjust the
comphensation for a 10x probe, and sometimes they don't comphensate
properly for a diffent scope, but generally you are OK.

(I use a storage scope for my general purpose work...)