Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default How to paint dials on mill?

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

If you're interested in reading some of my ravings, a gentlemen compiled
several threads and posted them as a single download. I've never read what
was compiled----I'm on a dreadfully slow dialup------but if you'd like to
peruse what I had to say, not only about grinding HSS, but grinders and
wheels, here's a link for the download:

http://www.savefile.com/files/915454

Harold

I got the file down and printed it out.

The only thing negative, that I have to say about it, is that it, when
viewed from the perspective of a rank novice, would serve tidily as a
deterrent to ever going near a metalworking tool. It does make it seem
like everything must be "just so" or you will not have any success at all.

Great info for an advanced beginner or at least a somewhat more
experienced metalworker, though. Very well written, and you are able to
communicate the ideas you are presenting in a very clear manner. That is
how it seemed to me, in any case.

Worth the read.

The tools that you show there are a bit different than those I use
regularly. I use a lot of 3/16" and 1/4" HSS tools, either flat on top,
or ground with a fair bit of top rake. I use a lot of small boring bars,
ground very similarly to the one shown.

I can confess to doing most roughing operations with Carbide, as it is
available and convenient, and when I must, I grind larger HSS tools, but
for the most part, the work that requires the finer tolerances, is
generally quite small, so small tool bits suffice.

I do try to get the apprentices thinking in terms of how they can get
the most use out of a single set-up, and to think about minimizing tool
changes and losses of zeros, and try to pound into them that the reason
they have a quick change toolpost is to AVOID having to loosen it off to
turn it about, and then having to pick up their zeros all over again.

Threatened to put the lantern tool post back on the lathe, for one
guy, before he got that clue.

I make it sound like all the apprentices are a bunch of clueless
thickies. Not all of them. I have several co-workers now, that came
through in the last few years and showed aptitude and willingness to
learn from their experiences, and the willingness to do good work,
rather than the minimum possible.

Not allowed to beat the apprentices. Too bad. Some could use it.

Cheers
Trevor Jones