Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sears tractor keeps destroying pulleys

On Nov 30, 2:09 pm, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 30, 1:41 pm, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 30, 12:43 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:27:50 -0800 (PST), John
... for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed. ...
I'm not going to disagree with sa or dpb, but I'll admit that it does
sound strange that if an obstacle is what is causing the problem, you
somehow managed to hit it (or them) with the left blade 4 times and
never with the right.
I'm not taking offense as you don't intend to be critical I understand,
but I'll add a little note...

He says the blade is stopped by an obstruction while in gear.

If there is something other than an external cause, that would be a
fault that could be addressed mechanically otherwise nothing but
changing the operation would seem to address the problem.

I do suppose the chance of the leveling could be a contributing issue,
but if it is so bad as to cause the left side to be digging in to the
point it stops a blade tip and the right not, one would think the
unevenness of the cut would be obvious enough to be noted.

--

I think we are on the same page here. That's why I mentioned both the
position of the blade and the route taken.

Let's put a root out in the middle of his yard. Now let's assume his
left ball...err...blade hangs lower than his right. If he travels a
route than continually takes his left one over the roots, he going to
smack it everytime he goes by (ouch!). However, if he varies his
route a little to one side, the right one might clear it.

This could happen due to uneveness of turf, a physically lower
left ... blade, or even a left blade that is bent differently than the
right.

But it's that far off and he hasn't figured that out???? Seems
farfetched to me. Not impossible, but surely unlikely I would think
unless the guy is also blind as well as imbalanced...

unless the guy is also blind as well as imbalanced

Hey, he's replaced it 4 times in 2 years and he's just asking about it
now? Who knows? ;-)