Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sears tractor keeps destroying pulleys

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 30, 1:55 pm, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to John :

Hello
My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts . The pulley
that drives the left side blade keeps stripping. The pulley is
attached to it's shaft with a star connection. If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed. The star opening
on the pulley gets every so slightly stripped and enlarged and begins
to saw away at the spindle destroying both within seconds. This
happens only on the left blade, never on the right. To replace the
pulley and spindle costs me about $60 each time. so far in the two
years that I have owned time machine this happened 4 times! Can anyone
tell me what going wrong ?

Despite what others say, it should be able to stop momentarily without
destroying anything. I hit lots of things (rather rough ground in
places), and I've never had any damage (except for the blade getting
dinged of course).

Can you slacken off the belt a bit so it'll slip? Maybe it's too tight.
--
Chris Lewis,

Good point. Shouldn't there be a sheer pin or key that would give
before a pully would strip out?

That would be "shear", curtains are "sheer"...

If there were one, certainly one would expect that to occur. Many
cheapies don't. I wouldn't expect to hit anything so hard so frequent
as to stop a blade entirely dead w/o causing damage.

Not sure what OP is calling a "star" drive -- could be that it's failing
there because it was designed as the weak point. The JD's I have use a
keyed shaft and the key serves the function of the shear pin.

Whatever it is, I still say the solution is most likely the answer to
the old story about the doctor's solution to the complaint "It hurts
when..."