Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Sears tractor keeps destroying pulleys

John wrote:
Hello

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts . The pulley
that drives the left side blade keeps stripping. The pulley is
attached to it's shaft with a star connection. If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed. The star
opening on the pulley gets every so slightly stripped and enlarged
and begins to saw away at the spindle destroying both within
seconds. This happens only on the left blade, never on the right.
To replace the pulley and spindle costs me about $60 each time. so
far in the two years that I have owned time machine this happened 4
times! Can anyone tell me what going wrong ?

Can't say for sure but it sorta sounds like there is vertical wobble
at the star (shouldn't be). One thing sure, hitting a stick should
*NOT* cause what is happening...I regularly hit oak roots and fallen
branches - branches up to 2" in diameter - with no damage other than
dulling the blade which is always dull anyway. I don't mow, I thresh

I've never even had debris stop the mower unless it is physically big
enough and oriented so it gets kicked up and wedged in the blade
housing. In that case, the blade drive belt slips. And smokes if I
don't shut it off. You sure your belt isn't too tight and that you
are using the correct length (BTW, belts are a lot cheaper at auto
stores). No wobble in the pulleys? All the bearings good?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...