Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Fence Repair

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:

Random thoughts....

Not so random. Good stuff, thank you!

How are the slats that are in their original postions attached - to
each other or to the retaining strip? (I'm guessing the retaining
strip.) Re-attach the others the same way.

You guessed right and it makes sense.

Galvanized deck screws would work, but if you try to screw too close
to the ends, you'll probably split the uprights unless you pre-drill/
counter sink. Consider renting a nailgun to save time and eliminate
the pounding you're concerned with.

Hmmmm, I had not considered the nailgun option. I should have
and will!

Chicken or egg question: Did the vines grow through the openings once
the slats became displaced or did the slats become displaced because
the vines pushed them out of the way? In either case, you're going
have to deal with the vines or you may find yourself in the same
situation a few years from now.

I think the vines displaced the slats. You're right -- they
will likely cause more problems in the future.

Are the displaced slats warped to such an extent that it's going to be
tough to put them where they belong? You be surprised what a few well
placed wood clamps can do to pull a warped board into alignment and
hold it in place while you add the fasteners.

No serious warping. There's just a ton of good lumber in
this fence. However, it wasn't well fastened together.
It's a shame. But that's builders :-(

How is it that the fence is a "shared responsibility" Typically, one
or the other of the homeowners owns the fence and the land beneath it,
assuming it was placed where it should have been based on local codes.

My understanding and recollection is that both parties have
to pay equal shares of any repair or maintenance costs. Yes,
I think that's a little unusual too. I will be checking the
original title documents in due course because it seems that,
these days, my memory is sometimes a little ummm, porus ;-)

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |