Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sears tractor keeps destroying pulleys

On Nov 30, 12:43 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:27:50 -0800 (PST), John
wrote:

Hello

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts . The pulley
that drives the left side blade keeps stripping. The pulley is
attached to it's shaft with a star connection. If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed. The star opening
on the pulley gets every so slightly stripped and enlarged and begins
to saw away at the spindle destroying both within seconds. This
happens only on the left blade, never on the right. To replace the
pulley and spindle costs me about $60 each time. so far in the two
years that I have owned time machine this happened 4 times! Can anyone
tell me what going wrong ?

John

You need to WALK the area and remove all these obstacles that do not
belong there. Your blade should not be hitting anything but grass.

I'm not going to disagree with sa or dpb, but I'll admit that it does
sound strange that if an obstacle is what is causing the problem, you
somehow managed to hit it (or them) with the left blade 4 times and
never with the right.

Is the left blade closer to the ground? Do you always (typically?)
follow the exact same route such that the left blade meets the
obstacle but the right never does?

Obviously clearing all obstacles is the first thing you need to deal
with, but I would also try to determine what is different about the
left side blade vs. the right - either its position on the tractor or
the route it travels when you mow.