Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do electrolytic capacitors blow up when old?

On Nov 30, 9:46 am, "peter" wrote:
Electrolytic capacitors sometimes blow up -- due to heat, old age, or lack
of use(?).

I have some old studio flashes used for photography and they contain some
high voltage electrolytic capacitors. I use them once in a long while. But
if they ever blow up, it would be very unpleasant.

Could someone reassure me that it is not going to happen, or suggest a
solution?

Photo-flash caps are typically "good chemistry" and also typically
charged quite slowly from a relatively LV supply (batteries). Consider
how much energy must be transmitted into those caps from the batteries
before they have enough energy to physically explode. That is not
quite the same as making a bright flash. Not gonna happen. However if
you have rapid recovery mains-supplied flash units, you *may* be able
to make them explode - that would require multiple-failures, however.
Not just the caps failing.

Also keep in mind that most caps "blow up" because they are connected
at the wrong polarity and-or are subjected to a very high over-
voltage. Note "multiple failures" above. Mostly they just short or
heat up and open, or leave a sloppy mess.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA