Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default get rid of mercaptant

On Nov 30, 8:03 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I need an old 100# LP bottle for use in my shop. I took the valve off three
hours ago and have an air hose line inside the bottle blowing air in for
over an hour now. No sign of the smell abating. SWMBO will cause me serious
bodily harm if I make the house smell like that. Any good ideas to rid an
old bottle of propane smell? Don't say light a match.

Karl

Karl, years ago I made a welding table using old black gas pipe that
had not been used in years. Never a hint of smell until I started
welding the joints. Then the smell came out pretty strong. So, it was
somehow in the little bit of rust in the pipes, or in the steel
itself.

If you can get the tank pretty hot while blowing in the air, you may
be able to clear 99% of the stuff. A 100 lb tank is pretty big to be
putting in the oven. Can you direct some heat from a salamander or
something like that onto the tank?

Paul